Catch the Inauguration Train ~ Praxis Habitus - On Race Religion & Culture

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catch the Inauguration Train

I finally turned on the tv yesterday and was surprised to find that the inaguration has already started.

Springfield, Illinois, USA. Image via WikipediaBarack Obama got on a train yesterday headed to and landed in Washington, DC, with masses of supporters, onlookers, and gawkers cheering and waving in the bitter cold to see the new president-elect arrive to his new home.

I should have known better, but I was expecting the grand inauguration to happen on Tuesday the 20th. You know, the whole shebang complete with senators, past presidents, the Supreme Court justice holding the Bible, with the high point Capitol Building SideImage via Wikipediabeing an epic speech from a young idealist featuring an orational finesse that will be replayed for years to come. But the excitement of this new president (for many people it's just as much about getting rid of the old one) is just too good, too exciting, to wait for. The commentary, the concerts, the coverage -- how soon can we get going?

The party started yesterday. Hundreds of thousands have already converged on the nation's capital. The official inauguration logos are up on all the major channels. And the entire lineup of professional talkers are extending their shows from one hour to 3+ hours to chat away the next three days.
NEW YORK - NOVEMBER 04:  Residents of the hist...Image by Getty Images via Daylife
Inauguration, here we are.

I'm glad it's here. I've become more of a political junkie since 9/11, and I just can't miss this. I'll be listening for issues of race to be highlighted more than any other election since the antebellum period. I expect a whole lotta talk about the nation's first black president. I also expect to see elation and emotion from many African Americans who are grateful, awed, and inspired by the new president. I also expect non-blacks and other non-white groups to show confidence in a more diverse, multicultural America.

And I expect to hear absolutely nothing from political conservatives -- no media from them for a few days. It's Obama's show.

No comments: